Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Love Letters and X-Ray Vision

I admit that, from am abnormally early point in our relationship (um, like six days after we met), I knew that Ross was the one for me. I sent him love letters on facebook, left silly little cards on his pillow before I left for my apartment each evening, and tucked notes into his lunchbox.  I couldn't write enough about how he made me feel, about our hopes and dreams and how irresistible I found him.

Then I stopped writing.

Sort of ironic, since that was one of the things Ross really liked about me, and one of the things he's been encouraging me to do again.  He bought me a netbook for my birthday last year just so I could have my own computer to work on my short stories and plays (of course, he found the netbook on sale and ended up getting reward points for it, too, so I'm assuming it wasn't entirely altruistic of him).

Recently, however, some "writing doors" have been opening up for me.  Out of the blue, Ross's artsy, eclectic and talented sister Lindsey contacted me and suggested that we collaborate on a tongue-in-cheek superhero story.  I had to laugh; I'd been working on my own version of one for over a year, and it had come to a dramatic, crashing halt, but I still had a special place for it in my heart.  Now, we're toying with new characters and I'm dissecting my old story to find places for her great ideas.  Real life helps to play a role, of course, too, because Ross and his best friend Ryan are feeding the giant with Superman T-shirts, video game discussion and other delicious nerdy habits that I find adorable (hey, I am a huge sci-fi geek, too).
In addition, an acquaintance from Starbucks has found my blog, and begun to forward me freelance jobs.  Which is freaking awesome, since I'd never used my talents that way before (thanks, Courtney).  She's a pretty great writer, too, but she has a totally different style than I do, which makes me appreciate other genres more.  

If that's not enough, more interest has been drummed up online and in my family regarding my zombie play, which, after the first draft was completed, has been on hiatus.  So it looks like that's coming back from the dead, too.

Heh, heh.

But, in honor of the man I married, the sweet gentleman who sold his beloved car and motorcycle so that we wouldn't get into debt over our wedding, I share this with the eyes of all who care to read:

A Love Letter for my Husband

Each night, I forget 
How brilliantly blue and full of life
Your eyes are,
And every morning, when you
Wake and open those
perfect eyes,
I fall in love with you again.
You strike me mute, sometimes.
And during those moments when 
My soul is too quiet or wildly raging,
You pick apart my favorite
Songs and sing the words you know
Or make up lyrics
Or hum them
But the message is always the same
"I'm a fool for you and I don't care,
I've waited my whole life to play this part
And it's become my joy and my hope."
Most days I feel
Like I don't deserve your love;
It's so simple, so earnest and so
Unaffected by my moods,
By the rain that drips in the spare bedroom,
By dwindling paychecks,
Or my pale, dry attempts
At chicken-fried rice.
I want to honor
The choice you made
To marry me, to love and keep me
And to overlook my many faults.
Each day I want to grow closer to
Becoming
Exactly who you need me to be:
The smiling, brown-eyed girl
Whose hopes blend with your own,
And who lingers not on past regrets,
But who takes your hand every day
And walks by your side always, 
A step closer to forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment