Sunday, September 26, 2010

Like a Diamond

I have had to start thinking of this blog as sort of a diamond.

Not for its great value or rarity, but for its multi-faceted nature.  I've been struggling with the idea of it being purely a spiritual blog.  Or purely a cooking blog.  Or purely a blog about home and family.  For example,  I have such great respect for the Christian newsletters and messages that have emerged from great ministries; the writers somehow manage to see an opportunity for spiritual growth in every seemingly mundane experience.  I, however, simply write about how much centipedes scare me, and how much I like avocados.   But I love Jesus, too, and I try to live my life as a person who pleases my Lord.

Does that mean I can't write when I have been given bad customer service?  What about when I have made the foolish choice to give my husband the silent treatment because he did something that upset me?  Or when I have struggles at work and feel like I am failing?  What about when I feel like God is far away from me, and I am just a sinner stumbling in the dark?

I always wanted my words - this blog -  to be an encouragement to others.  If anything I have published has been an excuse for others to give up, get even or choose a negative attitude, then I have not done my job well.

I will continue to write about my studies of the mundane, because to find joy in it is akin to the man who sold his possessions to procure the pearl of great price.  To see diamonds of laughter and hope sparkling in the dust of our daily lives is a treasure indeed.

1 comment: