Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Every Story Has a Beginning

Inspired largely by my favorite movie, this now-classic short musical, my artsy and talented sister-in-law Lindsey, my ten-year-old-boy-stuck-in-a-man's-body husband Ross, and his ten-year-old-boy-stuck-in-a-man's-body best friend Ryan, I am finally sitting down and pounding out my own superhero saga.

Like many children, when I was younger, I dreamed of having superpowers.  My mom taped (yes, on VHS!) the late-night reruns of Batman for my sister and me, and we'd watch them after school the next day.  My favorite villain was Vincent Price as Egghead.  Well, I liked Catwoman, too.  Classy lady.  As I got older, I took countless online tests comparing me to the X-Men (I always came up as Jean Grey, by the way). I designed my own superhero outfit.  I wrote myself into my favorite action, adventure, and science fiction stories and movies.  

Unfortunately, none of that translated into physical activity, and so I was a pudgy, pale-faced, wheezing kid with dreams of grandeur.  

At least I could write.

And I still can.

When Ross and Ryan get together, they rarely talk about their college days (they were in the same fraternity at Grove City).  They don't talk much about video games (Ryan's not really into that) or partying (Ross's wild oats are all dead).  They talk about comic books and superheroes.  I, of course, being nosy and possessing a great deal of superhero soap-opera knowledge from my youth, dislike sitting back and letting the boys play, so I'm in on those chats, too.

Ryan's favorite is Superman.  Ross likes Wolverine.  I am a fan of Batgirl.  I mean, if I had to choose.

I wonder.  There are tests to determine which superhero your personality is most like, but are there tests to determine what your favorite hero says about you?  Talk about psychoanalysis.  Ryan: split-personality disorder.  Ross: mean streak.  Becky: insomniac.

At any rate, I have been playing with a plot for some time now.  I have the characters themselves in my mind, but I am still hashing out the details: how did they get their powers?  How are they dealing with them?  What are they doing with them?  Are they going to wear costumes?  If so...who makes them?  Tights or no tights?  These are important questions, people.

They will soon, I hope, be answered.  Stay tuned until next time...same Bat Blog...same Bat Website!  (Are you hearing the 60's theme song in your head right now?  Good.  My work is done here.)

3 comments:

  1. ohhh i can't wait to read what you have to write! you know i've always been into comics/action/scifi stuff. i have to say my favorite has always been spiderman. i wonder what that says about me... hmmm... ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kat...it means you're, ahem, high-strung. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nananananananannanana bat man dodo

    ReplyDelete