Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lift Up Your Face: A Call to Action

Even now, as I still mourn and grieve, I feel like God is putting a weapon in my hands.  I feel that miscarriage is one of the last great taboo topics out there, the same was homosexuality was, the same way cancer was.   In every pregnancy book you read, you find a thin chapter near the back called "Dealing with Loss" or "Problems During Pregnancy", and it's the one part of the book that no pregnant woman ever willingly reads. Would you blame them?  The running statistic is that miscarriages occur in 20% - 25% of all pregnancies, which is absolutely mind blowing.  That means that, out of every four of your female friends, one has lost a baby (and she has probably never told you). Plus, nothing can be done to prevent them.  Not extra folic acid or pre-conception workouts, not eschewing coffee or eating Romaine lettuce and soy milk all day.  Nothing.

But there is one thing we can change: the healing process.

When I posted yesterday's difficult message, I was literally inundated with calls, texts, private messages, and responses full of love, encouragement, compassion...and empathy.  It turns out that a large percentage of my friends had actually endured at least one miscarriage.  But, of course, since most women don't talk about their families by saying "I have two sons, a daughter, two miscarriages and a Golden retriever", it's a topic that is rarely discussed. 

I find that giving voice to a situation helps to disarm it.  The same way that women who have been raped, or children who have been abused, or people who have been robbed, begin to find healing when they find the courage to give words to their experience, a woman who feels she has "failed" at becoming a mother might be able to better deal with the loss if she shares it.

So, that being said, I am asking my friends to be brave and bold, and help other women heal.  Ladies, will you give your experience a voice?  I would like to create a new blog, solely for the purpose of telling your stories of miscarriage, mourning, and healing.  Everyone deals with grief differently, but sometimes, your journey may encourage another woman on hers. If this is something you want to do, I would ask that you would e-mail me at RebeccaGodlove@hotmail.com and tell me your story.  If you wish to remain anonymous, indicate that.  Tell me whatever you feel comfortable sharing.  I am asking you to pray and consider doing this because I already know that my sharing has helped other women, and their response has helped me.

Will you consider blessing your sisters with the gift of compassion?  Please think about it.



1 comment: