Monday, November 5, 2012

And the Winner Is...

Earlier this week, I made it known via social media that I was participating in this year's NaNoWriMo...which means that I'm making it my goal to write a 50,000-word novel by the end of November.

'Cause what else does an unemployed, slightly loopy and extremely creative hausfrau have to do in the fall?

In order to help gather my thoughts and create an outline (which, according to the rules, is completely acceptable as long as I am not using previously-written prose), I asked my facebook friends to help me choose between two (in my humble opinon) pretty neat ideas.  The first is very contemporary: a superhero-style adventure that takes place, of course, in Pittsburgh.  The second is a little more epic in scope: a tale of a young woman who has to defy her king and the laws of the land in order to protect it.  It's a Christian allegory.

Both ideas are precious to me.  The first is fairly recent; it includes a plus-sized female role model and explores healthy relationships as much as it deals with super-powers and heroics.  The second idea is born of characters that I created (but never did anything with) in college.  Dear God, that was a long, long time ago.  These folks have been haunting me for a decade, at least.  Time to get the ghosts on paper, I guess.

Which is, ultimately, why I chose the second option.  Seriously, people, it was like Sophie's choice!  Yes, most of my friends chose it, too...but don't get me wrong.  The other idea has grown very quickly on me, and I hope to finish that story within the year as well.

But even before I had seen all the "votes", my head had turned towards the allegorical story.  I found myself, over the past few days, I was beginning to research names and other ideas.  Looks like my head knew before my heart did.

Below is part of my "wall of inspiration"...character prototypes that have been collecting dust in my portfolio for years.  I brushed them off, touched them up, and hung them.  Really helps.  Top one is Berengyr, a herald.  Bottom is my main character, Arnavet.  She is a court musican.







Thanks for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment