Monday, January 7, 2013

Real Love?

Today, I heard the statistic that a full 56% of Americans surveyed believe in the concept of "love at first sight". 

I almost threw up.

Maybe that's one the biggest problem with society today.  Maybe it's way bigger than gun control, or marriage equality, or mental disease, or religious freedom, or anything else that we can find to fight about. 

It sounds curmudgeonly to say it, but I think the very idea of "love at first sight" is complete bunk.  Poppycock.  A fable. In fact, those very words are pretty darn curmudgeonly, too, but then "curmudgeonly" is, sadly, an under-appreciated word.  Cur.  Mudge.  On.  Ly.  Curmudgeonly!  Type it - it doesn't even feel natural to the fingers, all splayed out over the keys like that.

Back on topic: sure, it's easy to be enraptured with the idea of locking eyes with an attractive stranger and being swept up in a dramatic, emotional affair.  After all, isn't that what so many bar-hoppers are looking for on Saturday nights?  Pretty sure they aren't in the market for a long-term committment - someone who will attend grandfather's funeral with them, or remember to pick up the dry cleaning after work on Thursday.  At least, not the people I know who bar-hop (or used to). Isn't that what the movies feed us, though?  Isn't that how romance novels introduce us to their "heroes"?

The problem with that concept is this: love is not a feeling.  It's not an idea.  It's a choice.  It's a decision.  I love Disney movies as much as the next girl.  Honestly.  They're pretty.  They're fun.  And full of adventure and romance and animals that talk. 

But reality?  Nope.

Well...that would include a sequel in which Cinderella develops embarrassing corns on her feet, leading to painful surgery; Aurora is given an expensive treatment for her narcolepsy that isn't covered by her insurance policy and Prince Philip needs to refinance the castle's mortgage; Ariel gets mercury poisoning from sushi; the Beast realizes that he needs anger-management classes; Belle's dreams of becoming a writer are dashed by rejections from numerous publishing houses;  Aladdin deals with self-esteem issues over marrying above his station; and Tarzan and Jane's children refuse to wear pants, inciting neighbors to call child services on them.

Kind of depressing, huh?

That's where love comes in.  Love is the decision to fight past the disappointments and remind each other about hope and better times.  Love is the promise of "we will get through this".  Love is the blessing God gave man and woman to help them survive the disasters of daily life.  Everything from burning dinner to losing a child is a tragedy in some way or another, and without love, it's pretty tough to navigate life as all those problems begin to pile up.  Even lots of "little" ones, put together, are practically insurmountable. 

Love gives us strength for the climb.  Sometimes, it gives us wings to soar above problems altogether.  But love isn't a quick fix.

That's not to say you can't fall in love quickly.  I did.  Ross proposed when we'd only been dating three months and I said 'yes' with no hesitation whatsoever.  In two days, we celebrate our three-year-anniversary.  But falling in love with someone purely by looking at them?  That's as shallow as the human race can possibly get.  "I like how you look; therefore, I want to possess you."

That's called "lust", friends.  It means 'wanting something that doesn't belong to you'.  And it's called a sin in most major religions.  Even some minor ones, I'd bet.  It's not a good thing.  Don't get me wrong.  Immediate attraction can certainly lead to healthy, mature, loving relationships.  It can open the door to love.  Desiring something that you don't have can be a way to spur us to action, to change, to another path that better defines us.

But please don't give something so fleeting and fickle as lust the huge and all-encompassing title of "love".

5 comments:

  1. When I read this, I asked Scott, "Do you believe in love at first sight?" He answered, "No, it's lust." There ya go! And good job on the use of poppycock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, you don't believe in love at first sight..yet you believe in a big man who does no wrong that whispers in your ear and controls your life, and will eventually send you to an overpopulated paradise in the sky? Yeah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. I'm afraid that the concept of God that you have isn't the same one I have. The God I serve is a good father who loves and disciplines his children - because even science shows us that children without rules and restrictions grow up unhealthy and prone to self-destruction. The God I serve differentiates quite clearly between right and wrong, but does not use my failures against me. The God I serve guides me and desires that I do good to others even when I don't agree with them or feel like being kind. I am not a perfect person; most times I don't even feel like a "good" person, but that has never been a requirement to accept Christ, or even to get to know about God. There will always be people who do not agree with or understand my beliefs. They must seem as ridiculous and outlandish to others as atheism seems to me - and I can accept that I will always look like a fool to someone. That's okay by me.

      Delete
  3. You do realise that god is a made-up concept when there was no other explanation. Why are you wasting your time clinging onto man made archaic ideas. you need to watch some 'athiest experience' on youtube or read the works of hitchens to see past your rose tinted spectacles, the God you believe in has massacred many and is completely immoral in todays values.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gianna,

    I'm sorry but I don't quite follow you. In the same comment, you acknowledge God as a made-up concept but also that he is has taken action - having "massacred many". I'm also wondering what "today's values" have to do with a God who is - according to my beliefs - timeless. At this point, you're welcome to continue to post messages about how foolish my faith is - in fact, if you'd like to read them, there are plenty of other "religious" posts of mine that may serve as good fuel for your fire. I no longer feel the need to have the last word during conversations, so this will be my final reply, as we will clearly never come to an understanding on this subject. I can't speak for the actions of any others - who share my beliefs or not - who might be reading the same posts.

    However, I do wish you well, and I thank you for your honesty - you're brave enough to stand up for your opinion, and that is commendable.

    ReplyDelete