Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Among the Stars

My mother raised me on science fiction.  I don't think it was her intention, but I spent my tween and teen years watching reruns of Batman and Star Trek, and I read comic books as well as classical literature (that, I admit, had nothing to do with my mom).  I wanted to be Deanna Troi when I grew up (not realizing, of course, as a preteen, that the character was originally meant to be little more than eye candy).  When Star Trek: The Next Generation was finally cancelled, I remember crying.  I legitimately, really and truly cried.  On and off, for maybe like 4 days.  

Then the miracle of Netflix brought it all back to me.  Fortunately, I married a man who thinks eating popcorn while binge-watching science fiction series can be considered dinner and a movie, so I've been able to enjoy that part of my youth all over again.
Image courtesy of twitter.com.

So I guess it's only natural that I take my place among Mr. Nimoy's many, many fans and say that I'm so grateful for his legacy.  As a child, I considered Mr. Spock my least favorite character on Star Trek.  He was different.  Dispassionate.  He seemed critical and cold.  I didn't like that.  As I got older, I realized that there was some value in controlling one's emotions, at least to a degree.  And, I've also come to realize that he represented the role of The Other.  He was never anything less than himself, but when others didn't understand him, he didn't take it personally.  He went right on being himself.  He had great value as a team member, as a leader, and as a support to his captain and crew.  He never quite fit in as a human or a Vulcan, and even though he struggled with it, he tried to embrace his unique identity.  There are a lot of people - minorities, women, 

What a wonderful lesson science fiction taught us!  During a time when sci-fi pulp mags all showed the bulky blond spaceman blasting aliens with his ray gun, while rescuing the scantily-clad (also somehow Caucasian) space princess, Leonard Nimoy portrayed the green-blooded, stoic antithesis of Captain Kirk and became both a hero and sex symbol in his own right.  

Some folks might take issue with a Christian who loves science fiction.  Yes, it's true!  *Gasp!*  There are people who are SO straight-laced that the idea of living in a world where characters don't believe in God is shocking and offensive.  I say - look around you, brothers and sisters.  That world is THIS ONE.  I posted this years ago about why I love Doctor Who, even though the fictional world of the famous Gallifreyan is basically one that defies the idea of an all-powerful celestial deity.  

That all being said, I just want to go on record as saying that I, one voice among many, so very much appreciate Mr. Nimoy's contributions to the world of science fiction, of early television, of film, and the many realms his legacy has touched.

May memories of you live on as long as the stars, good sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment